Milton Chorus History and Tradition
Milton is the oldest high school in Fulton County. It was originally founded as Milton County High School in 1921 and became part of the Fulton County School System in 1932 with the merger of Milton and Fulton Counties. Music has long been an integral part of the student’s lives at Milton with quality band, choral and orchestral programs. Since choral music was added to the curriculum in 1951, the Choral Department has enjoyed great success. The choirs have consistently received Superior Ratings in Performance and Sight-Singing at the Georgia Music Educators Large Group Performance Evaluation as well as other festivals across the south. They have received invitations and performed at Carnegie Hall in New York City three times. The groups have also had the opportunity to perform in various cities throughout the United States. June of 2016 marked the first European Choir Tour and now the program travels overseas every 3 years. The Milton Chorale was invited to perform at the 2009 GA ACDA State Convention and performed at the Georgia Music Educators annual In-Service Convention in 1997, 2012, and 2019. In addition to these awards, the ensembles have had the opportunity to perform with or visit many Colleges and Universities throughout the Southeast.
In addition to the success of the choirs, students have been selected to participate in Georgia Music Educators Association All-State Chorus, the Governor’s Honor Program, District Honor Chorus, American Choral Director Association Honor Choruses, Spivey Hall Honor Choruses, and other various honor choirs throughout the nation. Students from Milton have also gone on to study music and participate in college music programs throughout the nation. Many of these students are now performing and/or teaching music.